Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Week #6

The sessions by Troy, Lisa, Justin and Victor gave me another outlook on movement and dance. First off, Troy and Lisa came up with something very creative and opened up my eyes. We normally think that our body parts only have one purpose each. For example our feet are for walking and so forth. However, when they brought up the point that we could use our elbows to smell, it made me realize that our imagination can really bring another dimension to our everyday lives. So often we use our brains as judgement, but we fail to realize that our other body parts are also connected to us and they are all very important. When they told us to start doing odd movements such as smelling with our feet, I initially thought it was the most bizarre thing ever because we never use our feet in that way. However, it all started to make sense once we did the movements and it allowed me to think from another perspective. The underlying message is that if we just go with whatever feels natural instead of what we perceive as normal, we’ll be able to go far with our creativity. Justin and Victor also had some great ideas with their dances. They both connected their favorite sports to dance and movement and showed that there isn’t too much different about swimming, Frisbee and dance. I noticed that some of the technique is even the same. If I had a chance to teach another movement, I may have chosen to do one about basketball because as I was following their moves, as well as some of the warm ups we’ve been doing, I realized that shuffling my feet is exactly the same as doing defensive slides in basketball. Movement is such a versatile activity and can represent so many other things that we do in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment